When you see the initials CMC following a consultant's name, it means that he or she is a Certified Management Consultant and has met strict certification requirements of the Institute of Management Consultants in his or her country. The initials mean the consultant has met world class standards of competence, ethics and independence, and is eligible for reciprocity between ICMCI member institutes.
These standards include:
- Three years in management consulting
- Recognized degree or professional qualification or additional five years in management consulting in lieu of a degree
- Able to demonstrate that in the last three years, management consulting has been a significant part of their activity. This can include consulting with clients; selling, managing and / or supporting consulting activity; preparing for and teaching consultancy; publishing and writing on consultancy
- Owner or employee of a firm in independent practice, or internal consultant in organization meeting institute's independence criteri
- Written examination or structured interview to test knowledge of the code of professional conduct and common body of knowledge
- Two sponsors who are full Members or Fellows (CMC, FCMC, MIMC, FIMC, or equivalent)
- Written descriptions of five assignments and five client references verified through interview
- CMC's pledge in writing to abide by their Institute's code of professional conduct. This code signifies voluntary assumption of self-discipline above and beyond the requirements of law.
FCMC or FIMC
- The initials FCMC or FIMC designate a Certified Management Consultant who is also a Fellow of his or her institute. In some countries, the ICMCI member institute may use the designations MIMC and FIMC to signify (certified) Member or Fellow of that Institute of Management Consultants. These consultants are internationally qualified as CMC and FCMC or FIMC.
CMC is the Gold Standard for Excellence
- In selecting management consultants, clients are well advised to seek individuals who meet the profession's own standards of competence, ethics, and independence. Institute certification is a valuable aid in this quest. It is the gold standard for excellence among management consultants.